Friday, August 27, 2010

Christ.our deepest need.

   "I remember saying one summer, "What I really need is a trip to the ocean." So I went to the beach, but the ocean seemed to say,'It is not in me!" The ocean did not do for me what I thought it would. Then I said, "Perhaps the mountains will provide the rest I need." I went to the mountains, and when I awoke the first morning, I gazed at the magnificent mountain I had so longed to see. But the sight did not satisfy, and the mountain said, It is not in me!"
    What I really needed was the deep ocean of God's love, and the high mountains of His truth within me. His wisdom had depths and heights that neither the ocean nor the mountains could contain and that could not be compared with jewels, gold, or precious stones. Christ is wisdom and He is our deepest need. Our inner restlessness can only be pacified by the revelation of His eternal friendship and love for us."
-Margaret Bottome, Excerpt from "Streams in the Desert" 


I find myself trying to do this so often- trying to fill that need by getting my vanilla soy lattes, or going on a walk along the ocean, or hanging out with friends, and although these are all things that are meant to be enjoyed, they, in the end, don't fill me up. They don't fill that void. In the end, i always realize (it's an ever constant learning process for me!) that Christ is all that truly fulfills me.

1 comment: